List of Lakes in India PDF
Today, we are sharing a List of Lakes in India PDF. This is very useful for the upcoming competitive exams like SSC CGL, BANK, RAILWAYS, RRB NTPC, LIC AAO, and many other exams. List of Lakes in India PDF are very important for any competitive exam and this list of lakes in india pdf is very useful for it. this FREE PDF will be very helpful for your examination.
MyNotesAdda.com is an online Educational Platform, where you can download free PDF for UPSC, SSC CGL, BANK, RAILWAYS, RRB NTPC, LIC AAO, and many other exams.
List of Lakes in India PDF is very Simple and Easy. We also Cover Basic Topics like Maths, Geography, History, Polity, etc and study materials including previous Year Question Papers, Current Affairs, Important Formulas, etc for upcoming Banking, UPSC, SSC CGL Exams. Our PDF will help you to upgrade your marks in any competitive exam.
MyNotesAdda.com will update many more new pdfs and study materials and exam updates, keep Visiting and share our post, So more people will get this .
- General Knowledge mcq
- Most Important 250 भूगोल प्रश्नोतरी
- List of Lakes in India PDF
- Indian Geography Notes in hindi
- Asia Geography (एशिया हस्तलिखित नोटस)In Hindi Free Pdf Download
- World Geography (विश्व का भूगोल) Complete Notes- पीडीएफ डाउनलोड करें
- Geography Questions and Answers for Competitive Exams
List of Famous/Major/Important Natural & Artificial Lakes in India
1. Kolleru Lake – Andhra Pradesh
- One of the Largest fresh water lake in India.
- Located between Krishna and Godavari delta.
- Atapaka Bird Sanctuary is a located on the Kolleru Lake.
2. Sambhar Lake – Rajasthan
- India’s largest inland salt lake.
- It is a bowl shape lake encircles historical Sambhar Lake Town located 96 km south west of the city of Jaipur (Northwest India) and 64 km north east of Ajmer along National Highway 8 in Rajasthan.
- Mahabharata mentions the Sambhar lake as part of the kingdom of the demon king Brishparva.
3. Pushkar Lake – Rajasthan
- Located in the town of Pushkar in Ajmer district of the Rajasthan.
- Pushkar Lake is a sacred lake of the Hindus.
4. Wular Lake – Jammu Kashmir
- Largest Freshwater lake in India.
- Wular lake can spread over nearly 200-sq-kms but its actual surface area tends to vary during the year.
- The Jhelum River flows into the lake, 40-km downstream from Srinagar, and then out again.
- Lake basin was formed as a result of tectonic activity and is fed by the Jhelum River.
5. Pulicat Lake- Andhra Pradesh
- Second largest brackish – water lake or lagoon in India.
- The large spindle-shaped barrier island named Sriharikota separates the lake from the Bay of Bengal.
- The island is home to the Satish Dhawan Space Centre,the launch site of India’s successful first lunar space mission, the Chandrayaan-1.
6. Loktak Lake -Manipur
- Largest freshwater lake in North -East India
- Keibul Lamjao the only floating national park in the world floats over it,which is the last natural refuge of the endangered sangai or Manipur brow-antlered deer.
7. Sasthamcotta Lake – Kerala
- Largest fresh water lake in kerala.
- The purity of the lake water for drinking use is attributed to the presence of large population of larva called cavaborus that consumes bacteria in the lake water.
8. Vembanad Lake -Kerala
- Vembanad (Vembanad Kayal or Vembanad Kol) is the longest lake in India, and the largest lake in the state of Kerala.
- It is known as Punnamada Lake in Kuttanad and Kochi Lake in Kochi.
- The Nehru Trophy Boat Race is conducted in a portion of the lake.
9. Chilka Lake -Odisha
- Chilika Lake is a brackish water lagoon, spread over the Puri, Khurda and Ganjam districts of Odisha state on the east coast of India, at the mouth of the Daya River, flowing into the Bay of Bengal, covering an area of over 1,100 km2.
- It is the largest coastal lagoon in India and the second largest lagoon in the world.
- Chilika Lake is the largest wintering ground for migratory birds, on the Indian sub-continent.
10. Dal Lake – Jammu Kashmir
- Dal Lake is a lake in Srinagar and is integral to tourism known as the “Jewel in the crown of Kashmir” or “Srinagar’s Jewel”.
- Asia’s largest Tulip garden is on the banks of Dal Lake.
- Mughal gardens, Shalimar Bagh and the Nishat Bagh are on the banks of Dal Lake.
11. Nalsarover Lake- Gujarat
- The Nalsarovar Lake in Gujarat is probably the largest water bird sanctuary in the country.
- The Nalsarovar Lake is mainly inhabited by migratory birds in winter and spring, it is the largest wetland bird sanctuary in Gujarat, and one of the largest in India.
- It was declared a bird sanctuary in April 1969.
12. Tsomgo Lake – Sikkim
- Tsongmo Lake or Changu Lake, is a glacial lake in the East Sikkim.
- The lake is the venue for the Guru Purnima festival in which Jhakris of Sikkim assemble at the lake area to derive benefits from the healing qualities of the lake waters.
13. Bhimtal Lake – Uttarakhand
- Bhimtal Lake is a lake in the town of Bhimtal, in the Indian state of Uttarakhand, with a masonry dam built in 1883 creating the storage facility
- It is the largest lake in Kumaon region, known as the “lake district of India”.
- “C” shaped lake.
14. Barapani Lake- Meghalaya
- Barapani or Umiam Lake is in Shillong .
- The origin of Lake in 1965 is due to the Umiam Umtru Hydro Electric Power Project ,the first Hydel power project in the North-east region of India.
15. Nainital Lake – Uttarakhand
- Nainital Lake, a natural freshwater body, situated amidst the township of Nainital in Uttarakhand State of India
- Kidney shaped or crescent shaped.
16. Periyar Lake -Kerala
- Periyar Lake is formed by the construction of the dam across the Mullaperiyar River in 1895.
- The notable elephant reserve and a tiger reserve, Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is located on the banks of Periyar lake.
17. Hussain Sagar Lake – Telengana
- The lake is in Hyderabad, built by Hazrat Hussain Shah Wali in 1562, during the rule of Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah.
- Connects the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad.
- A major attraction at the Hussain Sagar is the 16 meter high, 350 tonne monolithic Buddha statue on the ‘Rock of Gibraltar’ installed at the center of the lake.
18. Salim Ali Lake – Maharashtra
- It has been renamed after the great ornithologist, naturalist Salim Ali and also known as birdman of India.
- Salim Ali Sarovar (lake) popularly known as Salim Ali Talab is located near Delhi Gate, opposite Himayat Bagh, Aurangabad.
19. Kanwar Lake- Bihar
- Kanwar Lake Bird Sanctuary comprising water ponds, marshes and forests is a home for different species of wild animals, birds, plants etc.
- The Kanwar Taal or Kabar Taal Lake is Asia’s largest freshwater oxbow lake.
20. Nakki Lake – Rajasthan
- It is a very ancient sacred Lake, according to the Hindu legend. It is called by this name because it was dug out from Nails (Nakh).
- ‘Nakki Lake is situated in the Indian hill station of Mount Abu in Aravalli range.
- Mahatma Gandhi’s ashes were immersed in this Holy Lake on 12 February 1948 and Gandhi Ghat was constructed.
21. Bhojtal Lake- Madhya Pradesh
- Also known as Upper Lake lies on the western side of the capital city of Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal.
- It is a major source of drinking water for the residents of the city, serving around 40% of the residents with nearly 30 million imperial gallons (140,000 m3) of water per day.
- Bada talaab, along with the nearby Chhota Talaab, meaning small lake in Hindi, constitute Bhoj Wetland, which is now a Ramsar site.
- Largest artificial lake in Asia.
22. Surajkund- Haryana
23. Ulsoor lake- Bangalore, Karnataka
24. Sambhar lake- Rajasthan
25. Pichola lake- Udaipur, Rajasthan
26. Pangong lake- Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir
TOPICS – list of lakes in india pdf
NUMBER OF PAGES – 2
Click Here to Download this PDF :– list of lakes in india pdf
HARDCOPY AVAILABLE HERE AT ZOOPPR.COM
DOWNLOAD MORE PDF
|Maths Notes||CLICK HERE|
|English Notes||CLICK HERE|
|Reasoning Notes||CLICK HERE|
|Indian Polity Notes||CLICK HERE|
|General Knowledge||CLICK HERE|
|General Science Notes
MyNotesAdda.com will update many more new pdfs and study materials and exam updates, keep Visiting and share our post, So more people will get this.
This PDF is not related to MyNotesAdda and if you have any objection over this pdf, you can mail us at [email protected]